- Not washing your make-up off at night breaks down collagen and the make-up settles into your pores at night stretching them out and making you age quicker.
- Keeping makeup out of sunlight prevents the sun from destroying the preservatives in it. Storing your make-up in a cool shaded area will make it last longer!
- Drinking a lot of water and staying hydrated adds a natural glow to your face. No highlighter needed!
- Concealer should be applied in the shape of an upside down triangle below your eyes, not just where your dark circles are.
To prevent your hair color from fading in the summer, try use a conditioning treatment every other week.
- If your mascara is flakey your mascara is more than likely old or too dry. Throw it out and get a new one! No flakey mascara or friends.
- Next mascara tip! Pumping your brush into the bottle actually dries out your product
- Red lipsticks with warm tones will make your teeth look yellow.
- We all know not washing make-up brushes often enough can spread dirt and oil, but did you know using a brush thats full of too much product can ruin your precise application technique and make your colors look muddy. Good thing I made this guide on how to wash your brushes right?
- Lip liners are not just for the outside edges of your lips, drag the liner in a bit to blend it out. Nobody wants harsh liner lines!
- Waterproof mascara dries out your lashes and make them fall out sooner.
- Foundation is a buildable product. 1 pump should be used for a sheer coverage and 2 pumps for full.
- If you curl your lashes, you should curl them before applying mascara.
- Make-up expires. If it’s over 2 years old.. THROW IT OUT!
- Conditioner weighs your roots down, only apply it to the ends of your hair.
1. Why do some lipsticks make my teeth look extremely yellow?
Lipsticks like any other make-up product has colored hues. If the hues aren’t great for your skin tone a lot of times you end up with yellow looking teeth even if they’re normally white! Warm-tones cast a yellow based hue onto you’re teeth while a blue hued lipstick will cast cool-tones making your teeth look whiter!
2. How often should I wash my make-up brushes?
You should wash your make-up brushes AT THE LEAST once every month to ensure you are using clean brushes and not distributing dirt and bacteria. If you are using your brushes more often they get a lot of build up, wash them every 2 weeks!
3. Do face primer’s actually work?
Most primers are made with silicone which acts as an adhesive to hold your make-up in place and make it less likely to smear or smudge. Just like painting your walls you need a base coat to help your make-up stay. It can also fill in fine lines and absorb oils! If you feel like yours isn’t doing anything, do some research and try a new one.
4. How do I contour my face?
I know it seems like a scary task to learn, but it’s actually pretty simple if you imagine a light above your face. The places that are shadowed you contour while the places that shine you highlight. Most people already have a bronzer or a color that is slightly too dark for their skin. I start at the top of my ear and brush in towards my mouth and nose angling slightly down going just below my cheek bones. Remember to use only a little product at first and build up, once you have too much product it’s hard to get rid of it, but you can always add. I then brush the top of my forehead along my hairline. Make sure everything is well blended harsh lines are not your friend.
5. How should I layer my skincare products?
Lucky for you I created a post specially for this question. In a quick summary cleanser, exfoliator, toner, spot treatments, serums, eye creams, moisturizer, SPF.
6. I only have 5 minutes to get ready, what can I do that will make the biggest difference?
My biggest problem is my dark circles. Concealer is everyones best friend and my number one favorite that I cannot go without. Next is a quick touch up on the brows. I brush and fill them in quickly (not perfect sharp edges). Mascara can completely change your look and cannot be forgotten! Finally is the perfect pout. That pop of color gives you the finishing touch.
7. Eyes or Face First?
Most people will tell you to do your eyes first and then do your face because of fall out, but I have a very specific routine. I don’t do my eyes first because I like to brush a little foundation onto my eyelid because mine are extremely red and I love the edges of my shadow to look really blended. First I do my foundation, then my eyes. If any fall out happens this is where you can brush it off and finish with concealer, contour, and setting powder.
8. How do I make my hair grow faster?
- The first thing is your DIET! Your diet reflects in your hair, skin, and energy levels. It is so important to feed your body nutritious food.
- Do less with your hair (styling, products, shampooing, and coloring).
- Massage your scalp to stimulate blood circulation.
- Loosen tight hairbands.
- Get regular trims.
- Supplements can be a huge help something with biotin and anti-oxidants.
9. How to do a dutch braid?
Here is the video I used to learn! It’s actually quite easy and very similar to a french braid.
10. How to remove gel nails?
I soak my nails in acetone to remove them, I prefer not to file them off because it ends up filing my natural nail and makes it thin and brittle.
Washing, drying, and styling your hair every single day is an unwanted hassle and is so time consuming! Did you know by washing your hair too much you could actually be damaging it? Shampooing too often can leave your hair feeling dry, making it prone to breakage. It could also have the opposite effect you’re going for and cause your scalp to over produce oil making it greasy faster. I train my hair so it lasts longer between washes and you can too! My hair grows very quickly and is always shiny and healthy looking. All this requires is a little patience because training your hair overnight doesn’t work. If you wash your hair everyday start by washing it every other day, you’ll notice the less you wash it the less you will need to wash it. Of course at first it will be super gross because it is used to being washed everyday so prepare for hat and ponytail days. Your hair will get used to your routine and will produce less oils. The thicker your hair is the longer you can go without washing. Everyone is different and not all of us are lucky enough to only have to wash our hair every four days. You can determine how long your hair can go without getting too gross. Things like working out and the weather can effect how long you can go. Here are a few tips I use to make my washes last longer.
- Dry Shampoo – chances are you’re probably using this product wrong (I was too!). Dry shampoo needs to be applied BEFORE your hair looks and feels greasy. Use it on day one hair and everyday after to help absorb as much oil as possible.
- Conditioner – while in the shower only apply a small amount of conditioner to your ends careful to avoid the scalp!
- Oils & Products – don’t put too much product in your hair even on just your ends! Decide what is absolutely a necessity for you and get rid of the other products. You may think by applying oils to the ends of your hair it’s not going to make your hair greasy – WRONG – it travels up your strand of hair and gets to your scalp.
- Boar Brush – using a boar brush will help you evenly distribute the oils from the top of your end through your ends so the build-up isn’t at your roots. (Most people say to brush out tangles with another brush and then use this one!)
- Pull it back – when working out, showering, AND when sleeping! Something I never thought about was when you go to sleep with hair or skin that needs to be washed the oil transfers onto your pillow case (make sure to wash them often). When you lay down again with clean hair it can make it dirty and oily!
- Don’t Touch it! – if you haven’t noticed the more you touch your hair the greasier it looks. That’s because the oils from your palms transfer to your hair! Try not to mess with your bangs or brushing it back in the same spot over and over.
Some people even take it a step further and use a clarifying shampoo every few weeks to get rid of all the build-up of oil they have. Another this I’ve seen a lot is an apple cider rinse, but that seems silly to me because for me its about avoiding having to wash, dry and style continuously.
Thanks for reading! Let me know how these tips work for you or if they’re something you already practice! Keep those locks luscious girl.
As you know I love to travel, I’m going on quite a few trips this spring/summer so I wanted to create a guide for my must-haves while traveling (in no specific order). If you have any must-haves for traveling you think I’d like please send them my way!
Comfort is a huge priority for me while traveling, but I also like to look cute not as if I just rolled out of bed. The Lululemon Align II Pants give me the best of both worlds. They are so comfy and feel like you’re not even wearing pants (that’s why they call them the naked pants) and they make you bum look nice! These are perfect for a long flight or drive because they’re not restricting at all. They’re a bit expensive, but I promise you’ll wear them everyday and it will be worth it.
Next comfort item is cozy socks! It can get pretty cold on airplane’s or even a chilly hotel room at night. It’s always nice to have a soft pair of socks to help you get warm or just to put on at night after your shower.
I am overly cautious about getting too much sun and using sunscreen. I take good care of my skin and I never want wrinkles so I make sure I use my sunscreen frequently. For my face I use Tarteguard SPF 30 it doesn’t make me breakout like some of the others I have tried. For my body I use Sun Bum Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 30 as well (they make a spray version). It also smells tropical which I love. For my lips I use Sun Bum Sunscreen Lip Balm that is SPF 30. It also has aloe and Vitamin E to keep them soft and smooth. It comes in a few different flavors, but I love the banana one! (Ulta never has them in stock in-stores that tells you how popular they are, but they also have them at Target if they’re out!) I also bought the cutest sun hat from Nordstrom to help out with keeping my face out of the sun!
MEDICINE! Questionably the most important thing on this list. It’s always a good idea to take any medicines you think you may need with you. It would be tragic to be stuck in a foreign country with a language barrier and a stomach ache. This could be a life or death type of situation. (Zofran is also a life saver if you’re feeling nauseous). If you have a hard time sleeping in new environments try melatonin!
Sensibility! While traveling I don’t want to carry my big purse around or worry about an expensive bag being taken or something falling out during the hustle and bustle. I love to have a backpack to carry my stuff around in! It’s so conveinient and distributes weight more evenly than a purse which makes my back happy! I found a few super cute backpacks (one of which I used in disneyland and it was perfect!) and they’re all only $20!
Another sensible must-have for me is a passport holder! (If you’re going out of the country that is.) It keeps all your important things together: passport, money, and credit cards.
We can’t forget about BEAUTY essentials. Time changes and jet lag can be a killer for your sleep schedule. Nobody likes dark circles under their eyes or looking tired so thus my next essential: Under Eye Gel Patches. Send those under eye bags packing!
Dry Shampoo. Sometimes when you’re on the go so much, you don’t have time to wash, dry, and re-style your hair. This is where LUSH’s No Drought Dry Shampoo comes into play and saves the day! My favorite part about this dry shampoo is that it works well even on dark hair and adds volume (BONUS!).
Gadgets are a bare-necessity in today’s world. Headphones are perfect when it comes to air travel (especially when you want to tune out your snoring seat-mate). I’m a freak about quality head phones. You won’t see me with the cheap $15 headphones that hurt your ears. I’m all for comfort and quality when it comes to my music entertainment. I have a few pairs of Beats that I like to use and what’s better than wireless earphones that don’t tangle around everything?
Continuing with gadgets is a portable charger. If you’re like me you love to take photos and videos of everything while traveling, but it can get tricky when you’re on the go all day long looking up directions and places to eat. That’s why the TravelCard is perfect. It’s so thin you can actually fit it in your wallet and it gives you 5 hours of charge time!
Finally we have: a good book. It’s the perfect time killer while traveling. Have a layover or a long drive? Nothing passes time for me like reading and it just makes me feel as if I’m taking a piece of home with me.
If you’ve read my blog before, you know I LOVE Tarte products, specifically their eyeshadows! When I heard about their tarteist PRO palette I had to have it. It’s not much more cost wise than their other tartelette palettes that only have 12 colors and this one has 20! Every single color is amazing. There are 16 ultra-pigmented matte colors and 4 iridescent luster shades that have a micro-shimmer (NOT a glitter that falls all over your face, which I LOVE). You really can create endless looks with this palette because it has a mix of mild and bold colors. They say it is perfect for all skill levels and they’re not kidding. Like all Tarte shadows you don’t need a primer because it is made with amazonian clay. They blend so seamlessly it takes very little man power to get them exactly how you want them. I’ve really been surprised at how much I use the MOD color. It was very out of my element (or so I thought) but it gives the best warm pop to my eyes. This palette is right on trend with all the colors and looks that are big right now! I also love the luster shades (on the right), they are the perfect shimmery accent. I love to use the color trendy on my bottom liner or glam on the inner corners of my eyes. (BONUS: this formula is Paraben and Phthalate free! Tarte also doesn’t test on animals!) As if you needed any more reason to love this brand.
Available for Purchase: www.tartecosmetics/com/PROamazonianclaypalette